Important COVID-19 Information
Last updated 11 October 2021
Update on Japara’s COVID-19 Outbreak Preparedness
Japara’s COVID-19 Outbreak Strategy provides for a comprehensive response to the threat of an outbreak in one of our Homes. Home Management and our staff have access to support and tools which have now been tested and improved based on real experiences.
The respective State public health units, the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission and the Commonwealth have provided extensive resources to support our operations and response.
As part of our COVID-19 Response Review in 2020, Japara adopted several recommendations which have enabled us to continue to improve on our outbreak management readiness and response.
We strive to provide the best care and safety for your loved ones and our staff. We reviewed our processes at the start of the recent Victorian outbreak and again for the NSW outbreak. Here are some of the measures we have activated in our NSW and Victorian Homes in response to the latest outbreak.
COVID-19 Screening and Testing
- We conduct daily screening of all our residents.
- We undertake testing of all our staff as per State Health Directions.
Infection Control and PPE
- We have reviewed our Outbreak Management procedures and conducted Outbreak Refresher Training with our Home Managers, Infection Control Leads and Clinical Care Coordinators to ensure they are equipped to respond immediately in the event of an outbreak.
- Our Outbreak Management Committee meets three-times weekly to review internal and external activities, threats and our own preparedness.
- We have increased cleaning schedules in our Homes.
- A stock-take of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has been completed ensuring we can meet any demand and deploy equipment should an outbreak occur.
Surge Workforce and Single Site Workforce
- A Surge Workforce of Registered Nurses and Family Liaison Support Officers has been established and is ready to be allocated to our Homes in the event of an outbreak.
- We have activated Single Site Workforce Guidelines in Victoria and NSW. (This initiative encourages our staff to choose a single Home to work at, helping to minimise the spread of infection.)
- It is a condition of employment at Japara that all staff are flu vaccinated annually.
- This includes all volunteers and contractors.
- All Japara Homes have received a first and second dose of COVID-19 Pfizer vaccination and we continue to offer first and second doses to new residents.
- All Japara staff are required to be COVID-19 vaccinated as per State Health Directions.
Check your symptoms to see if you have any of the following:
- Fever of 37.5°C or higher
- Chills or sweats
- Cough, sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Loss or change in sense of smell or taste
If you OR anyone in your household are feeling unwell or have the slightest symptoms of COVID-19, get tested, self-isolate and please DO NOT visit a Residential Aged Care Facility.