Regional Victoria: Japara Home restrictions
Last updated 21 September 2021
The following restrictions apply to all Japara Homes in Regional Victoria including:
Are face coverings required?
- All visitors and staff must wear a surgical mask and a face shield when caring for residents or in resident areas.
Are flu vaccinations required?
- All visitors are strongly encouraged to have an annual flu vaccination, please let your Home Manager (or delegate) know if you haven’t before your visit.
- All Japara staff are required to have an annual flu vaccination.
Are COVID-19 vaccinations required?
- All residents and visitors are strongly encouraged to be COVID-19 vaccinated.
- All Japara staff are required to be COVID-19 vaccinated as per State Health Directions.
- You can find more information on the COVID-19 vaccination and if it’s right for you here.
Are there visitor restrictions?
- Restrictions on visitors may apply.
- Please speak with your Home Manager (or delegate) about the options that may be possible for you and your loved one.
How do I check into a Japara Home?
- It’s a quick two-step process for anyone entering:
- 1. Complete a COVID-19 screening.
- 2. Check-in via the State Government’s QR code.
- You can find out more here.
Are residents allowed to leave the Home?
- Residents are strongly discouraged from leaving the Home, but please speak with your Home Manager (or delegate) about what may be possible.
- Residents must declare at re-entry that they haven’t been to a known public exposure site. If they have, they are required to undertake COVID-19 test and isolate until a negative result is received.
What other restrictions to daily life in the Home are still in place?
- Entertainers are not permitted.
- Volunteers are not permitted.
- Bus excursions are not permitted.
- Hairdressing is not permitted.
Are Home Tours permitted?
Prospective residents who live in Regional Victoria (excluding Ballarat, Mitchell Shire, Surf Coast Shire and Greater Geelong) are permitted:
- They can be accompanied by one other person who also lives in Regional Victoria (excluding Ballarat, Mitchell Shire, Surf Coast Shire and Greater Geelong.
- Prospective residents are not allowed to visit facilities in Greater Melbourne and Ballarat, Mitchell Shire, Surf Coast Shire and Greater Geelong.
- Only one such visit can occur at any one time.
- There is no limit on the number of prospective residents that can visit over the course of a day.
Prospective residents who live in Metropolitan Melbourne, Ballarat, Mitchell Shire, Surf Coast Shire and Greater Geelong can visit any aged care Home if they are:
- An inpatient in an acute care hospital awaiting discharge to a residential aged care facility (or a nominated family member visiting on behalf of the inpatient).
- A resident of an aged care facility that is due to close and are therefore required to find alternative accommodation.
How to stay connected with loved ones
- Send a Japara e-Telegram.
- Arrange a family FaceTime or Zoom call using one of the tablet devices from the Home.
- Maybe a window visit is possible (not available at all Homes).
- Speak with your Home Manager or Lifestyle Coordinator about what else may be available at your Home.
More information on restrictions in Victoria