Mental health: our care approach
Mental Health and Ageing
Getting older brings its share of challenges, which can make it difficult to stay mentally strong and healthy. Our mental health is vital, it is a fundamental aspect of our overall wellbeing. Without good mental health, many individuals may struggle to appreciate life to the full or face life and its challenges.
Many older people have mental health issues at some point. This may be due to:
- Frailty and loss of independence
- Grief and loss
- Financial stress
- Increasing social isolation
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way that we live significantly. When we are more isolated and are unable to see family and friends, it can be more difficult to keep on top of our mental health. Elderly people are especially vulnerable to negative psychological impacts associated with this.
A beaming resident at Japara Rye Sands
At Japara, we understand that achieving sound mental health for our residents is something we must endeavour to achieve. There are a few simple and easy steps that can be taken to promote mental wellbeing and we prioritise these at all of our homes. These are:
- Healthy eating and nutrition: a well-balanced and healthy diet is important for fuelling your body and helping with mood, stress and thought patterns. Diets should consist of fruits, vegetables, proteins and whole grains mixed throughout the day. Building a regular routine of eating will make it easier to maintain your diet.
- Exercise and keeping active: like nutrition, exercise is extremely important for a healthy lifestyle. It is good for both the body and the mind and its effects can improve mood and motivation.
- Healthy sleeping habits: sleep is also important for both physical and mental health, as maintaining good sleeping habits promotes a healthy body and mind.
- Keeping in contact: maintaining important social relationships, such as regular catch-ups with your partner, family and friends are essential for good mental health. Our Japara family also provides a strong support system for our residents.
If you have a loved one struggling with their mental health and are interested in the aged care services available at Japara, contact us to arrange a one-on-one chat with a member of our clinical team or to book a tour on 1800 52 72 72.