Safety in Action at Japara
Japara’s WHS & RTW Advisor Kyriaki Petridis recently presented at two Safety in Action Conferences in Sydney. The two-day events, titled ‘Workplace Wellness’ and ‘Return to Work’ brought together Human Resources and Work Health and Safety leaders from across a broad range of industries.
The 4th annual Workplace Wellness Conference featured a program that focused on strategies to enhance mental and physical wellbeing and productivity in the Australian workforce. From State initiatives, to stress management, and promoting healthier lifestyles, the conference focused on the best-practice case studies in mental health and wellbeing.
As a guest speaker, Kyriaki presented ‘Reflection on Emotional Wellbeing: Learning from the World of Health.’ She spoke about:
- Building resilience, optimism, and coping skills
- Building relationships, and fostering a positive culture
- Emotional Intelligence – being aware of your emotions and how they affect you
- The importance of self-care and mindfulness.
The second Safety in Action conference, Return to Work, examined best practice strategies to support employees through the process of rehabilitation and manage their return to the workplace in a timely and safe manner.
Kyriaki’s presentation was called ‘The Human Cost of WorkCover and Return to Work – Providing Compassion, Empathy and Strategies for a Successful Return to Work’, and discussed the following:
- Overview of the early intervention program
- How a claim experience impacts an injured worker’s ability to return to work
- Initial consultation and conversations with the injured worker
- Providing compassionate support